Monday, October 29, 2012

"Lascivious Jaundice"

Theodore from Crete sent me some great natural forks from orange trees.

The web is full of information about oranges (the fruit), but there is really nothing about the wood from those trees. So I did not know what to expect.

I started to work on this frame - probably the smalles Theodore sent :)


First, I sketched out the frame.


 Sawed it out!

 As usual, I start with a very angular version, to get the shape just right. I also cut in the fork a little deeper than originally planned.
 

After the rounding and rough sanding (80 grit), the orange-yellow color came out! I was amazed as well as curious. How would this end up?


 Here is the polished frame. I can't believe the color! Will be interesting to see how it ripens over the next few days.





6 comments:

  1. Real beauty, I bet the wood smells really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with B.J., I love the shape of it as well as the colour.

    /Hubert/DrDoomic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! You make some stunning slingshots. Just ordered a bill hays target sniper. Thankyou for rekindling fond memories of childhood. Happy slinging!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nimmst du dafür auch die Sägemaschine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Die groben Zuschnitte mache ich auf einer einfachen Bandsäge (unter 100 Euro), dann nehme ich eine Powerfeile - das geht schneller als mit der Raspel.

      Delete
  5. awesome!!!!

    jörg, do you have some sort of blueprint for this slingshot?, its great!!!!

    ReplyDelete